Monday, November 2, 2015

Street Fiction (1) Way Too Much Drama
https://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/15799942-way-too-much-drama
Sewell, E. (2013). Way too much drama. Toronto, Ontario M3B 3K9, Canada:  Harlequin Kimani TRU
ISBN-13:  9780373534685
Format:  Paperback
Cost:  $9.99

Annotation:  Viviana is a fish out of water living with her cousin Maya's family since her father was killed in prison as a result of Maya's accusation of murder. Viviana seeks revenge by stealing Maya's boyfriend, becomes friends with an abused drug addict, and questions her choices when she finds herself running for her life from the drug addicts forcing her to rob a store.

Awards:  None

Booktalk:  Maya's world is turned upside down when her cousin, Viviana comes to live with her family. Viviana wants revenge because her father was killed in prison as a result of Maya telling the cops he murdered someone. Viviana steals Misalo, Maya's boyfriend, makes friends with LaShaunda, an abused drug addict, steals, and gets into fights. But Viviana is also smart and finds time to be on the school quiz team with Maya, Keysha (Maya's friend), and Misalo. When Viviana answers 10 correct questions in a row, the team wins their first competition. Viviana shares her thoughts on page 178:

"The moment caused me to reflect on my father. I know that he would have been just as proud of me. He would have hugged me or given me a high five. My father was so smart and wonderful that I know he would have helped me learn the material. Since my father wasn't around to celebrate my moment of achievement, the feeling of wanting to be acknowledged did not disappear. I wanted to commemorate the victory of winning with someone special."

Will Viviana show up for the final competition, or is the pull to run away with LaShaunda to strong?

Available Formats:  Paperback, Kindle

Quote:  Taken from page 206:

"The people inside looked at me and cast judgment upon me. Their eyes said that I was a degenerate, immoral and the scum of society. I didn't think I was any of those things, but their eyes told a different story."

Multimedia:  Here's an Excerpt from Way Too Much Drama by Earl Sewell:


Extra! Extra!  Did you know Way Too Much Drama is part of a series, and a Kimani TRU book created for young African-American and multi-cultural teens? You can find out more here:  https://kimanitruseries.wordpress.com/2011/03/29/keysha-and-indigo-the-kimani-tru-series/.

Kimani TRU also has a Facebook page which can be found here:  https://www.facebook.com/KimaniTRU.

No comments:

Post a Comment